Friday, July 25, 2014

Book Communities you can visit in your pajamas!

There are many reasons to join a book community online. Sometimes it is easier to talk about books in a format that allows you to think through and edit your thoughts instead of going to a formal book club and competing with others trying to say their take on the book. I have used them to get an idea about what normal people think about a book. Online book communities might even give you an outlet to discuss books you love when others in your physical community don't get it. 


Today I am going to focus on 5 book communities online. 


BookLikes allows the user to blog, create a reading timeline and to keep track of books.  I will admit, I found this one the most frustrating because to navigate you must go to a drop down menu and it is not as easy as the others to find books. I was unable to find one of my books and it is a Blue Bonnet nominee! 

LibraryThing allows you to catalogue your books and would be a good choice for a classroom library or a personal library at home. 
Selfari is created by Amazon which makes me wonder about privacy. Being connected to Amazon allows for a ton of cool features and as soon as I started typing in the 2014-2015 Texas Blue Bonnet list it recommended all the books I wanted to add. The wish list is connected to you amazon account so if others have access to your wish list they could purchase the book for you. 

GoodReads is a great sight because it has established communities, is very easy to use and you can import your Amazon books into the program. This does raise concerns about privacy. There are often good reviews and the readers are passionate about their books. This would be a good site for high school students and to act as a good bridge into college to continue their love of reading. 
BiblioNasium is awesome. I see this as the site to use in my library classroom and really as a way for students to vote on and review the 2014-2015 Blue Bonnet books. It is secure and there are messages to parents e-mails you can send. This site creates a way to bring the whole family into the library. Out of the 5 this one is for educators. 
For the screen shots I used PowerPoint in my reviews. I have an older Mac that would not allow me to down load a really cool app that would have allowed for more lively explanations of each profile page.
If you are operating a newer version, have an android phone or iphone then, check it out!  

The app is called Skitch and if you are using the web,  iPhone or iPad or Android, check it out! 

As always, thanks for coming along on the journey! Shine on friends! 

1 comment:

  1. You did an excellent job presenting the 5 book communities. Which one do you think you will continue to use as a librarian? I am leaning towards Shelfari or Boklikes. @pjlibrarian

    ReplyDelete