Thursday, July 31, 2014

Oh no! Where is a good article to read? Pew, I mean PEW research!

I love a good research article, something about knowing makes me feel more alive. 
I can't say that it satisfies me on any level because I find I just have more investigating to do.  Another part of why becoming a librarian spoke to me. I enjoy the PEW research center because they work towards neutral reports void of any political slant and do their best to avoid biases. Today I have pulled three articles that address similar issues we face as librarians in a technology advancing world.  Please consider these articles or presentations and enjoy!

This slideshare is fantastic because it is to the point and gives us as the librarian a reminder about why we are seeking to learn more about technology. I always remind myself that technology is just a tool and it is how we use said tool that makes music, art or junk. Check out slide 18! Also, consider the thoughts to use more marketing and public relations!

The changing world of librarians from Pew Research Center's Internet & American Life Project




The following presentation is a good build from what to consider about the previous presentation and start to focus on how the information is being used by patrons through a digital platform. Interestingly, the last report I choose after this presentation is highlighted on slide 24! Most librarians would admit that they see google for kids research but wait until you get to that slide! WOW! 

Reading, writing, and research in the digital age from Pew Research Center's Internet & American Life Project



The last article is progression of my latest search for better understanding and really brings application into the forefront. How Teens Do Research in the Digital World . This is a long read but I will challenge you to the full worth of the 115 pages. I will also add that there are many charts, infographics, quotes and dialogue dispersed so it is not bad at all! This collaborative came from Advanced Placement (AP) teachers and the National Writing Project (NWP) teachers around the country. This was a look at grades 6-12th and they did their best to have diverse geographies and demographics represented. This is geared towards teachers but there is a reason why their students are struggling and appear overwhelmed by the amount of sources to research online.  Read this article and see how we as librarians can fill this need and help connect students to better methods than trial and error.  Many are not using databases and while the research did not address how they were searching, for example using Boolean searches, they address what they used.  We have learned the tricks mostly on our own and it is part of why we are librarians. Most kids will not become librarians so it is our job to ensure that they are successful and that we teach them what we have learned. Our teachers will thank us for it. 

PEW pages 168

As always friends, shine on and thanks for being part of the journey! 

No comments:

Post a Comment